Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My Passion: Good News Club

Several years ago I felt that God was calling me to surrender to full-time service...but I don't really know what He has planned for me yet. I'm trying to rest in the fact that surrender is my part and He will lead me every step of the way. It's hard waiting though...being Ready for Anything is difficult. The journeys He takes us on are sometimes dangerous and exciting, but they are always fulfilling.

I've been working with other staff at a Good News Club for nearly two years now. If a kid is in a title one school it generally means that their family is very poor. Many of them come from broken homes or they live with only one of their parents. I've heard a lot of really sad stories in my time there. The kids are very needy of someone steady, constant to love them as they are in their lives.

We go in every-other Friday afternoon for three hours and teach Bible stories, take prayer requests, sing songs, eat snacks, play games, learn memory verses, hear missions stories, and give a full blown invitation every time--all right in the public school building. It's an amazing outreach that I'm so blessed to be involved! Good News Club is a ministry of Child Evangelism Fellowship. God has saved around 50 kids there in the last year and a half. :) It is amazing to see the work God is doing in this school. It's the most exciting thing I've ever done! Talking to kids about God and telling them about His amazing love for them and seeing them grasp the weight of their sin and His suffering for them is the greatest blessing in the world. God has given me the opportunity to counsel several children throughout this year leading seven or eight to Him and answering questions about baptism and name calling too.

The kids come consistantly and participate heartily showing that they enjoy Club. They don't come just for the little debbie cake, juice box, and game...they come because they want to know Christ. These children are thirsty for the Word of God. Please join me in prayer for them!

I love working with kids, and I think God wants me to become a teacher in a title one school! Through Good News Club I have realized that Public Schooling will always be around (unless we re-write the U.S. Constitution) and Christians might as well make it the best place possible for those dear children and their parents. I'm thinking after I graduate next year I'll start at a college close by to earn a teaching degree! I'm really excited! Even though talking about God in the class-room is illegal loving children and being a constant figure in their lives is not. I would encourage you to find out if there is a Good News Club you can become involved in, in your community. Check out CEF's website (www.cefonline.com) to find a Club near you. God is at work through this ministry. Leading kids to Christ is the most exciting and fulfilling thing I've ever done. I can't wait to see what all God does in hearts and lives in the school system.

No comments:

Post a Comment