Thursday, March 17, 2011

To Whom Should We Be True?


Happiness, sadness, anger, fear, love . . . . these are feelings that all humans experience at some point in their lives. Emotions can be depended on too much or too little. We also need to rely on instincts. Beyond that we must remember that instincts and emotions are unreliable and we should rely on God for guidance as well. In his statement, "Above all else, to thine own self be true," William Shakespeare hints at an important balance that must be made in life: using God-given instincts and emotions as well as relying on God for guidance.

It is true that our culture emphasizes feelings, only, for the basis of making decisions. This fact makes balance difficult to reach. Also, ambitions and interests are formed from strong emotions. It is clear that emotions, and instincts, are important, but by themselves, both can be unreliable.

Instincts are important for avoiding danger. If children had no instincts, there would be no end to burnt fingers. Instead, after the first encounters, little voices inside advise against touching the stove again. We call these instincts. They make people recoil in fear at the sight of a snake or bear, or avoid running out in front of cars. They fuel our desire for love and comfort. Instincts are an underestimated and crucial part of life. They are not to be ignored but also not to be placed in importance above all else.

Emotions can help us connect with life. Interests and emotions fuel desires to spend time or money on a project. Although emotions are critical to understanding our interests they are also unstable. Yet, as humans, we use our emotions as a basis for life decisions: what car to buy, what school to attend, who to go out with, and more. We decide almost everything by how it makes us feel, happy or sad. We forget that life is not all about being happy. It is about serving and growing closer to God. It requires storms, sad times, and unpleasant circumstances to live life and also get to the indescribably joyous ending at His side. Emotions should not run our lives, but they should not be absent either.

Christians have a third and perfect source of guidance: the Holy Spirit. When Jesus ascended to Heaven, He gave every Christian a special gift of a perfect Friend, Guide, and Helper. In John 14:26 Jesus told his disciples: "...the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." This third Person of the Trinity indwells Christians and turns weakness into perfection. Christians should make communication with Him key in their decision-making process.

When William Shakespeare said: "Above all else, to thine own self be true," he hinted at an important issue. Although emotions and instincts can be given too high of an importance in our lives, they are important to help us connect to life and avoid danger. In addition, Christians are subject to the guidance of the Holy Spirit. When we allow God to rule and reign, the perfect balance between the three will be reached.

3 comments:

  1. Ahh so true. My church recently had a talk on emotions...I think so many Christians try to bury their feelings and put on the superficial front of "Life is good, God is good" even if that's honestly not what they're feeling. I mean, c'mon--read the Psalms. They have just about every emotion under the sun, from happiness and love and praise to anger and doubt and fear. And emotions aren't wrong, because God made us with them in his image...we just can't let them control us, like you said.

    Also, I think more than "to thine own self be true" it should be "to thy God be true" [which is what I think you were getting at anyway]. I hate pop culture's "follow your heart" junk. No no noooo! Whatever happened to "The heart is deceitful above all things" (Jer 17:9)? If we humans think we can rely on our own hearts and emotions, we are so dreadfully deluded.

    So yeah. There's a balance that we can only find in the Holy Spirit I think.

    Anywaayyy, sorry to ramble. I'm not sure my comment even has to do with what you wrote, but that's what came to mind. As you can see, I've thought about this before.

    :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an essay I wrote for school so I couldn't get to quite everything I wanted to say. Your comment addresses so many things I thought about.

    I was recently in a class at church that disscussed that very aspect of the Psalms. David was a man after God's own heart, and he wasn't ashamed to own up to his feelings. What a challenge to us to be transparent!

    I meant to include that verse! Yeah, our culture is completely messed up...

    Are you going to be at NC? I want to see you so bad!

    :) *smiles* and *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh! You get to write about cool things for school then. ;] Yeah, if I had been writing an essay on this, it would have ended up suuuper long and I still wouldn't have been able to cover everything. It's an extensive topic.

    Heh, whenever I come across a Disney "follow your heart!" type thing, I totally quote that verse to the TV.

    Ehmm, I'd love love love to go to NC again, but it's really a matter of money. I don't know...it hasn't really been brought up over here yet. But this will probably be my last year of TeenPact so it'd be wonderful if I could. I've never been to any of the other TP alumni events either, but I'd love to. Gahh, the things I'd do if I had all the money in the world. =P

    :) *hugs* and *smiles* and...and... *PENGUINS!* haha

    ReplyDelete